6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Damon Mercado's picture
Stop: Ox000000C4 Microsoft patch Error

When trying to boot up your pc you find a "stop:0x000000C4" and of course using another pc you can do some research and  find out that this effects thousands of other PC"s across the world that  have been effected by this patch from Microsoft! This Includes,

AMD CPUs effected include Athlon, Sempron, Opteron and Turion:

AMD Athlon X2 6000+

AMD Athlon X2 5600+

AMD Athlon X2 5200+

AMD Athlon X2 5050e

AMD Athlon X2 4800+

AMD Athlon X2 4600+

AMD Athlon X2 4200+

AMD Athlon X2 3800+

AMD Athlon X2 BE-2400

AMD Opteron 285

AMD Opteron 2220

AMD Turion X

The patch KB4056894 that has left many of thousands of people without access to their computers! If you are one on these without access to your pc after this patch. I strongly ask you to contact Microsoft or your local "IT' Tech to help you get your pc up and running again. Please do not try do this on your own . Simple reason why?  You can wipe out your data, picture's , documents,  Unless guided by a professional PC tech! I have not commented on the simple things, but when it come to major changing's  like, when Yahoo no longer supported At&T web mail and many were not able to gain access because of the changing's, I sent out a link "warning many of the changing's to come. Unfortunately, a few took this as, I was trying to scare them! But in all truth, I have always tried to forewarn all my clients and thankfully they read my post's here in RM .Com  and were able to ovoid getting their emails erased and they did a backup before the merger took place. Some others never had an issue and I was grateful about that as well.

Group visibility: 
Public - accessible to all site users
Nancy Clark's picture
Please stop the fear mongering

Damon -

Please stop massaging kernels of truth about things relating to computers in a thinly-veiled attempt to scare people into contacting you.  You are unnecessarily causing concern for those in our population that are not PC experts, and our community is not benefiting from your fear mongering tactics.   Please stop posting your infomercials here.  

Nancy Clark's picture
A Ox000000C4 error does not mean that all is lost!

Here are the facts:

• Microsoft’s recent update issue only affected a small subset of OLDER AMD processors.  To put this in perspective, only 20% of you have computers with AMD processors, 80% have Intel.  And this affects only some of the “older” AMD processors. 
  • Microsoft suspended the update several days ago - on 1/9.

So we’re talking about a small portion, of a small portion, of a small portion of the population that could have been affected by the update.  And of those, only people who downloaded it before 1/9.

It’s not necessary to panic and contact people you know with PC skills about this update issue.  Because it's more likely you'll win the lottery than experience it.  And seeing an error code of Ox000000C4 does not unilateraly mean that you are in danger of losing data, pictures, or documents.  Yes, that error code sounds really technical and scary, but in reality it's generic and merely identifies an unbootable state.  Think of it as your computer telling you "I'm just not feelin' it right now."  

The sky is NOT falling.

Bill McCarver's picture
Computer Issues

Nancy, 

A bit surprised by your response to Damon’s post. I took his post as informational only and not a scare tactic as you implied. All he said was IF you get the error, seek professional help either from Microsoft or your IT tech. 

I have used Damon for years, both personally and at my business. I have found him not only to be helpful but also very professional. Numerous times issues have come up that could have cost loss of data.  He has always been able to recover everything.

i would suggest that those who read his posts and cautions to take them just as that-cautions. Don’t over react, but also don’t be stupid and grossly ignore them. The majority of people probably don’t have your expertise and could actually make the problem worse trying to fix it themselves.

Personally, I think you owe him an apology, though I doubt he will receive it.

Bill

Bill McCarver

Myrna Solomon's picture
Microsoft patch

Nancy, I agree with Bills comments. I have been friends with Damon for almost 15 years so I didn't like hearing you smear him on this community website. He posts on here to warn people to a problem he has seen when either he read about it or many of his clients start calling him with the same computer issue. You said the issue with Microsoft and AMD only affected a few computers and was fairly minor, but for 4 days, at least 25 people called Damon with a blue screen and were freaked out.  If your computer is a necessary part of your livelyhood, it is a big friggen deal. My computer is fairly old though I did get a new hard drive at some point, so when  Damon called me to tell me not to do any updates from Microsoft after he started getting calls, I was grateful. And until Microsoft reported that they had stopped sending out the patch and he let me know, I chose to just use my tablet. This is what this warning was meant to do, and to make baseless accusations against him is unkind and mean spirited. This wasn't an Infomercial as you claimed but simply a heads up, and to accuse Damon of anything else is Just Plain Wrong!! 

Myrna Solomon

Nancy Clark's picture
Generating undue panic

Myrna -

This is not the first time I’ve seen this type of “public notice” suggesting that people contact their “PC Tech” posted here.   Damon identifies them as “warning many of the changing's to come.” And they are generating undue anxiety for many.

Before communicating technical issues to the public, here's what technical professionals consider:

1. the likelihood of the event happening from that point forward;
  2. the percentage of devices that have been and will be affected; and
  3. could the message cause confusion and unnecessary panic.

In this case, all 3 served as an indication that posting a notice on a public forum such as this was not the right thing to do.  

Amongst his client base there were 25 people affected?  That’s an extraordinarily high percentage given that only a few thousand were affected worldwide

Your comments