Seasonal streams meander through the area. (Sacramento Valley Conservancy photo)
The Deer Creek Hills preserve north of Rancho Murieta has a long schedule of events -- hiking, biking and equestrian rides -- planned for 2010.
The season opens Jan. 23 with a docent-led hike on the overlook trail to Deer Creek. You should be able to see the effects of winter rain filling Deer Creek, and on a sunny day the winter green of the grass is beautiful. The round-trip hike is four to eight miles, lasting from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m., and the group welcomes hikers of different abilities. There's a $10 registration fee. A self-guided trail is available at no cost.
You can register online at www.sacramentovalleyconservancy.org/calendar, by contacting Gina Silvernale at 612-3719 or by e-mailing email@example.com. View a complete list of outings at www.sacramentovalleyconservancy.org.
Deer Creek Hills is a blue oak and grasslands preserve of more than 4,000 acres next to Rancho Murieta. Here's a look at other events planned for this year:
- Saturday, Feb. 27, 9 a.m.-1 p.m.: Geology Hike
- Sunday, Feb. 28, 10 a.m.-2 p.m.: Equestrian Ride
- Saturday, March 13, 9 a.m.-1 p.m.: Free St. Patrick's Hike
- Saturday, March 27, 9 a.m.-1 p.m.: Wildflower Hike
- Sunday, March 28, 10 a.m.-2 p.m.: Equestrian Ride
- Saturday, April 24, 9 a.m.-1 p.m.: Birds and Wildflowers of Deer Creek Hills
- Sunday, April 25, 10 a.m.-2 p.m.: Equestrian Ride
- Saturday, May 1, 9 a.m.-1 p.m.: Cowboy Breakfast
- Saturday, May 22, 9 a.m.-1 p.m.: History/Archeological Interests of Deer Creek Hills
- Sunday, May 23, 10 a.m.-2 p.m.: Equestrian Ride
- Saturday, Aug. 14, 7-11 p.m.: Sunset Hike - Bat Night - Astronomy Night
- Saturdays, 7:30-10 a.m. June 26, July 24, Aug. 28, Sept. 25 and Oct. 23: Mountain Biking
Event participants should meet at Latrobe and Stonehouse roads, where parking is limited, so carpooling is recommended. Because weather is unpredictable at some times of the year, layers of clothing are suggested, as are water, light snacks and a hat.